In the 1920’s, Laura Shank was given a vision of a harvest being reaped in a church that she was to
start. Though she could not read and was seemingly alone in her hunger for the Holy Spirit, she
followed God’s leading. She was moved to begin a children’s Sunday school on her front porch. They
soon outgrew the porch as not only children but parents attended! They moved into their first
building known as Crown Avenue Church in 1926. Continuing to grow, they built a new church on
Mia Avenue in 1952. In 1954, Vearl Vaughn became the new pastor due to Sister Shank’s failing
health. Brother Vaughn had been saved at Crown Avenue and had assisted Sister Shank in the church.
The still growing congregation relocated to the current location, Union Road. Brother Vaughn became
a leader in a community of churches in the Miami Valley and the congregation at Union Road grew to
350 under his guidance. In 1985, Brother Vaughn’s health declined and Derwin Ward became pastor and
blessed the congregation with his musical talent as well as preaching of the Word. Five years later,
he resigned. In 1991 Rev. Clifford Hurst, an instructor at Ozark Bible Institute was called by God
to carry on the vision, strengthening the congregation and reinforcing Biblical principles. The
experiences, teachings, and Biblical living of classic Pentecost are still preserved in what is
now Union Pentecostal Church.